Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Science!

Is never simple.

I was going to wrap up today on the Green Bank project.  Like, have the results, which consist of upper and lower bounds to what we confidently feel we can narrow our lack-of-observation-of-the-predicted-phenomenon to, but even that is fraught with random complications.

Things are never as simple as they seem.  Especially when you don't have a Ph.D.  There are always factors that you don't even realize you have to consider.

I also want to add that my research advisor is seriously 10^awesome.  He never disdains questions, even eleventh-hour oh-my-god-I-just-realized-I-don't-understand-this-one-thing questions, he always answers them thoroughly and clearly, and most important, he answers what I actually asked, and not what I didn't.

Sometimes, I think that is the quality difference between a "teaching university" and a "research university."   The quality of your ability to know, because someone bothers to work with you to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment